How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Mayerthorpe, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Serene Environment: Situated along the beautiful Alaska Highway northwest of Edmonton, our home is a single-storey structure located in a quiet residential neighbourhood. The atmosphere in our home is warm friendly and very caring, much like the community of Mayerthorpe itself.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- “Reach for the Top” : Every month we have our own version of “Reach for the Top” where we compete with 7 other area homes in a trivia game show.
- Seated Exercise Class: We have seated exercise classes twice a week that focus on strength, range of motion, balance and flexibility. We also have a daily walkabout in the courtyard when the weather is nice, and indoors during the winter.
- Baking & Cooking Group: Our Baking & Cooking Group meets once a week and other residents and staff are always ready to enjoy the tasty finished results.
- Gardening Group: Members of the Gardening Group like to exercise their green thumbs growing flowers and vegetables in raised beds.
- Pet Therapy: Family and volunteer pets are regular visitors to our home and residents enjoy their company very much.
- Live Entertainment: We have live entertainment twice a month featuring a variety of different performers from the community.
- Monthly Birthday Bash: Every month we celebrate residents that have birthdays during the month. The celebration includes cake, candles, a card and a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday to You”.
- Christmas Concerts: We have 2 Christmas concerts every year as local school choirs come to entertain our residents.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer: